Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

OUR F2 BENGAL IS A REAL CHARACTER BUT IS SOMETIMES ACCUSED

Customer Question

OUR F2 BENGAL IS A REAL CHARACTER BUT IS SOMETIMES ACCUSED OF BEATING UP THE TONKINESE NEXT DOOR. WE ARE FRIENDLY WITH THESE PEOPLE BUT A PROBLEM WILL ARISE IF WE CANNOT RESOLVE THE ISSUE.Please may I have your advice to resolve this problem.
T/Y,
John Hoskins.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin

I have advanced training in feline behavior and must alert you to the fact that the only reliable manner in which to avoid your territorial Bengal beating up the neighbor cat is to restrict access to that cat. One or the other cats needs to be confined inside. There is a rather involved manner in which to get two cats in an existing household to tolerate each other - it involves reintroducing them to each other slowly and associating feeding and play with the presence of each other. This is time consuming and the upmost patience is required of a determined owner. This isn't appropriate in your situation, however.

Administering psychotherapeutic drugs such as fluoxetine (Prozac) or paroxetine (Paxil) to your Bengal in an attempt to alter your Bengal's psychological set may be of value but the use of such drugs for what is in effect normal behavior should be circumspect.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.