Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My 5 1/2 month pup has gone of her dry puppy food. She seems

My 5 1/2 month pup has gone of her dry puppy food.
She seems happy to eat cooked chicken, ham, bacon, lamb.
She has lost 4 baby teeth in the last 2 weeks.
I mixed cows milk with a small amount of her dry puppy food today which she ate.
Have just been reading that dogs can have a lactose intolerance to cows milk.
Can you give me some advice on what to try next?
Thanks margaret
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned that Lola is not eating her meals as eagerly as she was, although she will eat people food and her food if things are added.
Certainly high outdoor temperatures can interfere with her appetite so if it has been warm where you are that can explain some of her loss of appetite. Even if she spends most of her time indoors if she is going out to play and it is too hot to do so then she will burn less calories and be less hungry.
At 6 months of age her rapid rate of growth will be slowing down considerably, and she likely doesn't need as many calories as she did before. Also realize that Lola is a small breed dog, and really requires little food to maintain her body weight now that she is past her rapid growth phase. At this age feeding her two meals a day and a little less at each meal is fine. Most healthy adult dogs with a normally functioning appetite center will skip meals here and there. Dogs that are not super food oriented self regulate, and if they aren't burning calories and aren't hungry they don't eat.
If Lola is of normal weight, has a great coat and skin condition, is still playful, active and drinking normally I would not worry too much about her.
I worry when dogs are too thin, skipping several days of meals in a row, and are lethargic or start vomiting and drinking a tremendous amount of water.
Things that you can do to get her eating well are to make sure she exercises and plays every day, either at a dog park or with you at home, add low salt beef of chicken broth to her dry food, or add a few cooked carrots, cooked yam or sweet potato chunks, or green beans. These are things that won't add too many calories, but add taste and texture to her meals.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do some puppies go off their food when teething?
Is there a specific beef/chicken broth for dogs or are you referring to a beef or chicken stock cube that us humans add to our food?
Regards margaret
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I missed your earlier reply.
Some puppies eat a little less when teething but for most by the time their deciduous (baby) teeth fall out their permanent adult teeth have erupted and they have no problem eating.
The broths I was referring to are the same stocks used in recipes that we make for ourselves, but try to use the low salt versions.