Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My pup cavashon ( 6 months old ) has just eaten a 50gram lump

My pup cavashon ( 6 months old ) has just eaten a 50gram lump of cheese under our noses!
Enjoyed it but we are worried as we are strict with his diet and only eats dried burns food.
What should we do?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Peter :

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How much does he weigh?

Dr. Peter :

2- How long has it been since he ate the cheese?

Customer: About 5/6 kgs
Dr. Peter :

Friend, it is very likely that nothing will happen after eating the lump of cheese. At worst he may develop vomiting or diarrhea. I would recommend you observe him for the next 24 hours. If he develops vomiting or diarrhea this is what you can do:

Dr. Peter :

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: 2 he ate it 30 mins ago
Customer: Do we need him to sleep in basket in our room tonight?
Dr. Peter :

If it is possible to let him sleep in your room that would be great.

Customer: Cheers
Dr. Peter :

Cheers :)