Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has a sweling on the side of his gace just under his

Customer Question

My cat has a sweling on the side of his gace just under his ear,he has a scratch just below his ear and smelly pus and blood oozed out 2 nights ago. The swelling is getting worse and feels hard,when I touch it he lets me so it cant be painful.
I took him to the vet and he gave him an injection of antibiotics for the infected scratch however he didnt seem to look at the swelling much and now it is getting worse a day on.
Should I take him back to the vet and any idea what this might be?
I really thought it was the scratch,but maybe he scratched himself if its itchy?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin

Yes, Yogi needs to see his vet again. He suffered a bite wound abscess which needed to be opened up widely, flushed with an antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine and then left open to continue draining and heal by secondary intention (no stitches). Once this is accomplished many cats will heal without a systemic antibiotic being administered but the antibiotic can hasten remission in badly infected wounds. An abscess forms when infection is introduced under the skin by the sharp teeth of another cat. The scratch was superficial evidence of Yogi's fight.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou for putting my mind at rest will take him again tommorow now I have a better idea of what needs to be done.

cheers

Rachel.:)

You're welcome, Rachel. My best to Yogi. You should see the other guy!