Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a male neutered long haired ginger cat he has had intermittent

I have a male neutered long haired ginger cat he has had intermittent fresh blood in stool,has always had semi solid stool,has regular treatment with frontal .he is aoyrexial and otherwise we'll....his brother has no problems.. They are both on high quality dry food.
They both still use litter tray......
Vet thinks this is intermittent parasite...or bis. Not convinced .... Should we start panzyme supplement ..... Cat is insured....
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear about Cosy's chronic loose stools with blood.
I am not sure what you mean by "he is aoyrexial" so I cannot address that concern.
It will be important to describe what sort of loose stools he has to try and localize the problem. Loose stools with mucous or bright red blood, and an increase in frequency of stools point more towards large bowel diarrhea or colitis, whereas just watery stools with no mucous, and no increase in frequency are more likely small bowel disease.
Chronic diarrhea does cause changes in motility of the gut and can lead to reflux and vomiting. It can also lead to bacterial overgrowth in the gut. Probiotics such as Fortiflora or Benebac can help replace appropriate bacteria.
I assume that he has had stool samples checked to make sure that parasites aren't part of the problem. I would make sure they have been sent out to make sure that unusual parasites like tritrichomonas have been tested for.
Have any other diagnostic tests been checked?
Has he had a fecal culture to check for abnormal bacteria such as clostridia?
Is he losing weight?
It is quite possible that he has a food allergy/sensitivity or inflammatory bowel disease and that he needs a low residue, easy to digest food or a hypoallergenic food to be able to properly digest and absorb his food and not have loose stools. I highly recommend a trial of either Hills i/d or Purina Veterinary Diets EN. No treats, or table food while he is on his food trial. If he does well he can eat these foods for life as they are balanced.
Cats with food allergies can benefit from Hills z/d or Purina Veterinary Diets HA.
Cats with inflammatory bowel disease will worsen with stressful situations. There may be times when he will need medications too, such as metronidazole or even steroids if that is his problem, but I have found that a consistent, easy to digest diet is very helpful for long term control.
There are other possibilities too.
Addison's disease, which is a poorly functioning adrenal gland, can lead to chronic diarrhea and vomiting. These cats cannot handle stress at all because their adrenal gland doesn't produce cortisone when stressed and their electrolytes can be off too if their adrenal gland isn't controlling that normally either. We see vomiting, diarrhea and sometimes physical collapse in severely affected cats. Testing is an ACTH response test to check adrenal gland function and checking electrolyte levels. Treatment is steroid replacement therapy and electrolyte replacement.
Pancreatic insufficiency is another possibility, but I would not expect bloody stools with this. These cats have a pancreas that produces a decreased amount of digestive enzymes, and the amount produced can wax and wane in some cases, especially early in the disease process. Stools should appear greasy and loose. Testing is by running a blood test called a TLI which checks for digestive enzymes. Treatment is replacement of digestive enzymes at each meal. An easier to digest food would be expected to create less problems with digestion and as such less diarrhea. I would not start pancreatic enzymes without a firm diagnosis.
Kidney and liver disease can cause diarrhea too, but I would expect him to be sicker in general and diarrhea shouldn't improve with a change in diet.
In short since this has been a chronic problem for him then more diagnostics need to be done. They can be as simple as fecal checks and cultures, as well as a complete blood count and biochemistry profile to assess general health. Or they can be more invasive such as biopsies of the gastrointestinal tract to look for inflammatory bowel disease or infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.