Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

To Susan What an anaesthetic do you prefer to give your

Customer Question

To Susan
What an anaesthetic do you prefer to give your dog patients for an operation like neutering?
Planning to have Jag done next week after I return from India. Jag is much much better,thanks o you, and all his lesions have healed.
With best if bestest
Jag's Mum
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hello again! I'm so glad to hear that Jag is looking lovely again ;)

Dr. Susan :

In terms of anesthetic protocols, there are so many different ways which would be appropriate.

Dr. Susan :

The most important things will be using an injection of sedative first (makes going under and waking back up more smooth), having an IV catheter placed, and pain control after the procedure.

Dr. Susan :

If you would like to ask your vet what the anesthetic protocol is, I am happy to take a look at it.

Dr. Susan :

Just let me know!

Customer : I will return home on 4th April, and will ask the vet. He said something about using Ketamine. I don't know much about it as it's not used in humans anymore. I still remember my Spitz having a horrible reaction - convulsions- to it after being injected.
Dr. Susan :

Many vets do still use ketamine, it's not contraindicated. I have the same feelings as you though, I prefer not to use it in dogs (I will still use it with some cats).

Dr. Susan :

I prefer to use propofol for induction, but again, there is nothing specifically wrong with ketamine. I'll watch for your reply!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My son's card was lost so all his cards have been blocked. May I send your rating in a little while please after I go back home on 4th April?
Thanks! You know there can't be a better vet for me than you! Love xxxx
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
You are just so good to me :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Susan
I hope this communication reaches you! I had asked a question which was directed to another vet, although I had addressed the question to you!
I hope we can stay in touch.
Best
Kishu
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I was able to look at that other posting, and saw that they want to use a combination of ketamine and xylazine in Jag. I do not recommend using xylazine in small animals.
I would prefer to premedicate with a narcotic and a sedative (acepromazine or dexmedatomidine). If these aren't available, I would use the narcotic alone.
After that, we could still use ketamine to induce, but I would give it with diazepam instead.
I would continue pain medication orally (to be sent home with him) for the next 4-5 days.
Last, there should be no need for parenteral antibiotic. Castration is a sterile procedure, and I would not use an antibiotic unless there was some indication for need (such as a skin infection at the site of the surgical incision).