Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My cat has had a problem with his right leg. After he has been

My cat has had a problem with his right leg. After he has been sleeping he cannot bend the leg and straighten the paw to place it on the ground. He limps along with it stretched out diagonally to the front. After he has moved around for a bit, his movement becomes much better. He has had this for a year with bad phases and better times. However, it has been worse for the last two months and tonight he is yowling to let me know it is bad plus it looks particularly stiff and straight. Indy has been to the vet for this on numerous occasions and had an x-ray which revealed poor bone density but nothing else. The vet could not find any swelling and he said the cat did not flinch much at all. Prescribed painkiller did not alleviate things.
I am distressed that I can't help the cat and it is miserable for him. His history is that he arrived 7 years ago as a very weak, starved, tiny, worm-ridden animal. I have always found it odd that he doesn't jump or climb at all. He had bad problems with dermatitis and probable food allergies but I have fed him a careful, special diet and his skn has been remarkably improved for 6 months. He did have a very odd episode 3 weeks ago when he had head tilt, glazed eyes and kept toppling over onto his right side, biting suddenly at his left paw however. The vet said the ear looked clear, gave him steroids and antibiotics and after being very unwell for a couple of days, he recovered. I can't help wondering whether there is something neurological amiss with him with the head tilt, glazed eye episode and 'lameness' all being linked.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to discuss your questions about Indy.

Dr. Jo :

I'm so sorry he's having trouble, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

Dr. Jo :

You may join the conversation by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY.

Dr. Jo :

That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

Dr. Jo :

Indy certainly was lucky to find you when he did. It sounds as if he's really had a time of it.

Dr. Jo :

The way you describe his lameness, it certainly sounds like a musculoskeletal issue, not a neurologic one, primarily because of the way it's worse when he first gets up then he works out of it somewhat.

Dr. Jo :

This is typical for arthritis and joint trauma.

Dr. Jo :

Additionally, torn ligaments and other soft tissue injuries don't generally show up on x-rays.

Dr. Jo :

So it's very possible that Indy suffered permanent damage to his joins at some point early in his life that doesn't show anything on x-ray.

Dr. Jo :

That being said, it's also possible that there could be one underlying disease - like you said - to create all these symptoms.

Dr. Jo :

The first one to come to mind is FIP.

Dr. Jo :

Feline Infectious Peritonitis

Dr. Jo :

This isn't the common, or 'wet' form, but the dry form can be very tricky to diagnose and cause a variety of ocular and neurologic changes.

Dr. Jo :

Indy's history certainly makes this a possibility as well.

Dr. Jo :

FIP is also extremely difficult to diagnose. In fact, we never really can rule it out.

Dr. Jo :

Another unfortunate thing about it is that there really isn't anything you could be doing differently to treat the problem, even if it is FIP.

Dr. Jo :

I'm sorry.

Dr. Jo :

Another possibility I'd encourage you to consider is more aggressive pain management.

Dr. Jo :

This can be done by trying different and additional pain medications to what you've already used.

Dr. Jo :

Or, this would also be an ideal circumstance for trying "alternative" therapies if your open to that.

Dr. Jo :

Acupuncture and laser have been particularly useful in cases like Indy's where traditional Western medicine hasn't offered much in the way of success.

Dr. Jo :

If Indy were my cat, that's most likely the avenue I would pursue.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry you weren't online for a live chat about Indy's situation, and I'm guessing you'll have more questions after reading what I wrote above.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss this with you until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.
You may return to this page at any time to review the information and/or post more. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for such a detailed response. Although he was completely wild, he is a dear, little cat and deserves as much help as I can give him. I am certainly open to alternative therapy such as acupuncture. I would hope not to have to travel too far with him, however as he is so timid. As regards ***** ***** seemed to help for 1 week, then seemed ineffective. Vet was reluctant to prescibe anything stronger. I have been giving him Corta-Vet HR capsules, ordered from the internet and a diet called Specific Omega Plus Support. Couldn't feed him fish - seemed to have strong allergic reaction. Hope I am not overloading him with this?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
The Corta-Vet HR and Omega Plus are excellent choices for him. Another herbal I would recommend adding is Gan Mao Ling.
Gan Mao Ling is used to optimize immune system health. He could have a tablet once daily.
I'm so glad Indy landed with you. What a lucky, lucky cat.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using our website.
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.