Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have a 4 year old retriever labrador . this evening

Customer Question

I have a 4 year old retriever labrador bitch. this evening she started vomitting and passing blood from her anus. the blood is bright red in colour. she is fully vaccinated and was done last in early Jan 2015. she is fully wormed also. she has been extremely healthy up to now. please advise on what i should do and the possible causes. thanking You . Owen
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
2- Is she lethargic?
3- How much does she weigh?
4- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1. She is fed once daily at evening time. this evening she ate half her normal feed and vommitted it in about 20 min. she is fed Gain 20% and nothing else. she shouldn't have access to any poisons etc. i have rat and mouce baits but to the best of my knowledge they are secure. she did drink some water this evening but not much.

2. she is lethargic. she has a run and an insulated kennel to sleep in . i just checked her there 30 min ago and she was standing on the concrete but was definitetly lethargic.

3. i never weighed her but i would estimate 30 - 32 kg.

4. i didn't go into the pen to check her there now as i have a bitch sick to whelp a litter and i was afraid that if she had something contagious that i might take it into the other bitch. if you think it is important to check i will go out and check her.

sorry i am slow tying as i only use 1 finger.

thanks

owen

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Owen, there are lots of possible causes for the symptoms that you are describing. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Ingestion of a foreign body, dietary indiscretion, infections, HGE (hemorrhagic gastroenteritis) or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. If you have access to a vet tonight I would definitely have her checked tonight; some of the above causes could be fatal if she is not treated promptly. In the meantime, in any case of gastroenteritis the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with a veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr Peter,

I contacted my vet this morning and he is so busy he cannot see her until tonight.

She is still passing bright red blood. she is cold to the touch. i have put her in a pen with a red light but she will not lie under it. she is lethargic and isn't eating or drinking.

i checked her gums and they are red.

is there anything else i can do before my vet can see her?,

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Can you take her rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Her temperature is 37.0 Celcius. she is still trying to vommitt.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Owen, her body temperature is down. You need to get her warm until her rectal temperature is at least 37.5 C. Get some warm water bottles and warm them in a towel and place them all over her body then cover her with a warm blanket. Check her rectal temperature every 20-30 minutes until it reaches 37.5 C.
If she is no longer vomiting give her small amounts of water with a dropper directly into her mouth. Do not worry so much about food at this point. Just get her to drink and keep her warm until she is seen by family veterinarian.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter