Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog a staffi/lab cross,has a bad breath I can only describe

My dog a staffi/lab cross,has a bad breath I can only describe it as a metal smell (if that makes any sense) she is 9 years old
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Do her teeth have tartar/calculus?
2- Any other symptoms?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They have a little. No other symptoms. No other medical conditions. I give Peggy 5mls of cod liver oil every day.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Nora, a very common cause for bad breath in dogs is dental disease, she may need to have her teeth clean by your family veterinarian. Another common cause is an imbalance of friendly vs unfriendly bacterias in the oral cavity and digestive tract. You see, it is the fermentation of unfriendly bacterias that give rise to the bad odor. This is what you can try:
1- Supplement with a probiotic (friendly bacterias) like Fortiflora, you can buy this over the counter in any pet store or online; she needs to be on it for no less than 2-3 weeks before seeing significant improvement. You can keep her on it long term.
2- Rinse her mouth with C.E.T. Chlorhexidine mouthwash for dogs/cats; you can buy this over the counter in any pet store or online. Or, any mouth with the ingredient "chlorhexidine" made for dogs and cats.
3- I would have her checked by family vet, she may need to have her teeth cleaned.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter