Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My 14 year old female cat had her teeth and ears cleaned under

Customer Question

My 14 year old female cat had her teeth and ears cleaned under general anaesthetic 4 weeks ago. When she came home the third eyelid on her right eye was half way over her eye.
She went back the day after for a check up and was given a long acting anti biotic injection.
There was a further visit a few days later, she had some discharge from her right ear, there was some improvement in the eye, the third eyelid was retracting randomly. I was told she had an ear infection and given some TrizAural to use twice daily.
At the next visit the ear infection was better and the eye still improving although the pupil of her right eye was still very much smaller. It still is. I was told to carry on with the TrizAural and bring her back in a weeks time.
After a few days the TrizAural was causing her considerable distress, so I stopped using it.
Her ear is sore, she flattens it and shakes her head if it is touched. The third eye appears less frequently, but although it is slightly better there is still a considerable difference in pupil size. What should I do next?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to discuss your questions about Furby.

Dr. Jo :

I'm so sorry she's having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

Dr. Jo :

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say, then clicking REPLY.

Dr. Jo :

That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

Dr. Jo :

It looks as if you've been through quite the ordeal with Furby. I'm so sorry.

Dr. Jo :

Because you're having complications with using the TrizAural, you really need to let the prescribing veterinarian know that you've stopped.

Dr. Jo :

They will be able to come up with another option that might work better for her.

Dr. Jo :

In the meantime, we know - of course - that her ear pain is not going to get any better without treatment. So she needs something.

Dr. Jo :

As a 15-year-old, what seems like a simple and straightforward problem can quickly escalate into something serious.

Dr. Jo :

I know you've already been dealing with this for four weeks, but the longer Furby goes without medication for her ear, the worse the problem will get.

Dr. Jo :

If your vet is really struggling with coming up for options to treat her, I'd recommend getting a second opinion.

Dr. Jo :

The second opinion could also be very important to make sure nothing else is being overlooked. Furby could have something like a nasopharyngeal polyp that is underlying all of this. Failing to identify that would mean that you could treat her with all the ear drops in the world and her ear still isn't going to get better.

Dr. Jo :

I'm glad to hear that her eye is improving somewhat. The pupil constricts down as a result of inflammation and damage to the nerves on that side. As you're experiencing, that can take several weeks to resolve.

Dr. Jo :

My main concern is that you've been unable to medicate her ear as directed.

Dr. Jo :

I know situations like this are really frustrating, especially when it seems like the things you are trying make things worse or don't work, but please keep the lines of communication open with your veterinarian. They will assume you are medicating her as directed and that she's gotten better in the meantime if you don't.

Dr. Jo :

I see you are still offline.

Dr. Jo :

I'm sorry I missed my chance to have a live chat with you, and I'm sorry you've had to wait so long for a reply.

Dr. Jo :

I also expect you were hoping for an answer that suggested different types of remedies you could try at home. Unfortunately, that would be really inappropriate for a cat with Furby's problem. She needs professional medical care.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss this with you until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.
You may return to this page at any time to review the information and/or post more. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
One final check to ask if there is anything else I can help you with. I do hope things are going better. You may type in a response below. There is no additional charge.
Please also take a moment to rate my response as it is the only way I am compensated for my time. Thank you.