Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

my dog vomited this morning and then had a fit please help

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Peter :

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you give me an update on how your dog is doing?

Dr. Peter :

2- Did he get into anything?

Dr. Peter :

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

JACUSTOMER-0ta70m3h- :

Hi Peter,

JACUSTOMER-0ta70m3h- :

Q1 Barney is doing fine when his fit stopped what lasted approx 60 sec he jumped up and was running around quite excited, he has been eating ok and playing all day. Q2 No he vomited up a twig and fitted immediately after that at 04:30 it was very upsetting to see, he was very stiff and eyes wide open and mouth clamped. Q3 No pre exciting, how ever he did have a pseudomonas infection in his toe 12 weeks ago which has resolved, he is also post 4 weeks castration he is other that that fit and well, eating drinking, playing seeing and defecating. He was on the bed when he started vomiting so I pulled him to the floor before the vomit came out once he vomited he fitted could this just be vasovagal? Should I take him to the vet

Dr. Peter :

Friend, if he was stiff not likely to be a vasovagal. The vomiting could have been part of the pre-ictal phase (period before the seizure). As far as the seizure there are many possible causes.

Dr. Peter :

In a young dog the most common causes is: "Idiopathic Epilepsy," meaning that we don't know why it happens but we can control it with medication (phenobarbital or potassium bromide). If he seizes more than once a month he should be started on medication.

Dr. Peter :

I would recommend you follow up with family veterinarian for some blood work and a hands on examination. In the meantime observe him, if he seizes again have him checked immediately by a veterinarian do not wait.

Dr. Peter :

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!