Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog has brown stains around its eyes snout paws and stomach,

Customer Question

My dog has brown stains around its eyes snout paws and stomach, what is this and can I get rid of it?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin

You're on the right track. Tears and saliva contain porphyrins - dye-containing chemicals which can stain the areas around eyes and mouth and when our dogs lick their paws and exposed skin such as that on the stomach, the saliva will stain those areas brown. Areas that are kept moist by these fluids are also more susceptible to secondary yeast (Malassezia) infection and so the discoloration should prompt Milly's vet to check the skin surface in those areas for abnormal numbers of yeast and treat if necessary. Ketoconazole administered for 3-4 weeks usually suffices to rid the skin of yeast. An antimicrobial shampoo containing chlorhexidine will hasten remission when my patient is bathed in such a shampoo twice weekly.

If Milly is excessively licking herself and excessively tearing (epiphora) due to an allergic conjunctivitis, both atopy - allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mistes, etc. - and food intolerance should be considered. Atopy can be addressed with glucocorticosteroids such as prednisone or the new cytokine antagonist oclacitinib while food intolerance is addressed with hypoallergenic diets. Both of your dogs can be atopic. It's less likely that both would be food intolerant.

Groomers carry mild bleaching products ("bluing") which can reduce the stains but I've not seen the stains disappear completely in these dogs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for that, I shall come back to you if I think of anything I need to ask you.

regards

Russ

You're welcome, Russ.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. Feel free to return to our conversation at your convenience.

Please disregard the info request.