How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Jo Your Own Question
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 2865
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. Jo is online now

my dog has just ate 3 alendronic acid tablets 70mg they fell

Customer Question

my dog has just ate 3 alendronic acid tablets 70mg they fell and she found them what should i do
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Jo :

Hello,

Dr. Jo :

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your dog ingesting 3 70mg alendronic acid tablets.

Dr. Jo :

I'm so sorry she's done this, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

Dr. Jo :

While I access my toxicology database, can you please tell me what kind of dog she is, how old she is, how much she weighs, and if she has any other medical conditions or takes any other medications.

JACUSTOMER-a78bms47- :

she is a french bull dog 8 months old dont know weight and is is in good health normally

Dr. Jo :

Thank you.

Dr. Jo :

Even a ballpark approximation on the weight?

Dr. Jo :

By the way alendronic acid is not toxic to dogs. It isn't used often, but affects them the same as it does for people.

Dr. Jo :

It is not dangerous at doses up to 200mg/kg, so even a 10kg dog could eat 2000mg of it and be okay.

Dr. Jo :

So that's a huge relief.

Dr. Jo :

Here's the information on it.

Dr. Jo :

Overdosage/Acute Toxicity


No lethality was observed in dogs receiving doses of up to 200 mg/kg. Lethality in mice and rats was seen at dosages starting at 966 mg/kg and 552 mg/kg, respectively. Observed adverse effects associated with overdoses included hypocalcemia, hypophosphatemia, and upper GI reactions.


A recently ingested overdose should be treated with orally administered antacids or milk to bind the drug and reduce absorption. Do not induce vomiting. Monitor serum calcium and phosphorus and treat supportively.

JACUSTOMER-a78bms47- :

4kg

Dr. Jo :

Good. Thank you.

Dr. Jo :

So the 210mg/4 kg calculates down to only a 53mg/kg dose for her.

Dr. Jo :

This should be well within the safety zone.

Dr. Jo :

I would advise giving oral antacids and some milk by mouth.

Dr. Jo :

You may also go to the vet to have baseline blood tests drawn to see what her current calcium and phosphorus levels are so you can check again later to see if they go dangerously high.

Dr. Jo :

But it's most likely that this dose will not cause any problem whatsoever.

Dr. Jo :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Dr. Jo :

I want to be as helpful as possible.