Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My pony is lame on her hind leg. She was brought In from the

Customer Question

My pony is lame on her hind leg. She was brought In from the field and we found a lump no broken skin and presumed she had been kicked. The x rays showed no fractures or injury. Week later the lump ripped open and infection came out. She has been on bute for 5 weeks now and paradox antibiotic and been on box rest for 5 weeks. The lump is still there she is still lame had another set of. x rays and nothing is still showing up do you have dny advice on what to do next my vet says another month box rest and bute. I'm a little worried there could be a problem that we are missing and seems a long time on bute thanks vicki
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning Vicki and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I know you are worried about sweet little Dora, Vicki, but this is a normal course for infection. The fact that the xrays are clear and there was an infection released pus tells us that there will be scar tissue that is filling in this defect that will cause lameness. I do not believe that your vet is missing something but it may help to change Dora from Bute to banamine as a pain reliever and anti inflammatory medication. It is not unusual , Vicki,for such a long term condition for horses and ponies to be on bute long term so that is not a concern but the Banamine may be a better choice.

Everything your vet has done is correct and it will take Dora time to get past this, Vicki.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you think she should stay on box rest, or start some light lunging or turn out in the field till 100%

I agree with your vet that another month of stalll rest is best for Dora, Vicki. I know this must be frsutrating but it is better to error on the side of caution when there is a leg issue. THis is the safest for Dora.
Thank you so much, Vicki, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I am sure Dora will do well with you caring for her....

Have a wonderful day!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't feel that you gave me any new advice and feel you have just agreed with what I have said

I am so sorry, Vicki....but I felt that I added some information and backed up what I thought you may have been questioning. I really did try to help, Vicki and I am sorry that you are not happy.