Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

,my 13 yr old border collie has all of a sudden gone wobbly

Customer Question

Hi,my 13 yr old border collie has all of a sudden gone wobbly on his legs they seem to give way and he seems very stiff and his front leg keeps folding .he seems healthy and my daughter checked for ticks as im disabled and unable to.he hasnt had any problems of any kind before.no apetite loss.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Peter :

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Dr. Peter :

1- How long has this been going on?

Dr. Peter :

2- Any other symptoms?

JACUSTOMER-acdkxyu7- :

It started this morning and other then his legs giving out he has no other symptons.he used to be a working dog on the farm with me but not for 6 years as i am now riddled with arthritis.

Dr. Peter :

Prior to this happening he never showed any symptoms like having difficulty up from the floor, going up stairs, etc.?

JACUSTOMER-acdkxyu7- :

Bit stiff in the morning but thats the only thing i can think of.but this is sudden and no ticks or weight loss or loss of muscle

Dr. Peter :

Friend, given the quick onset of the symptoms I would be concern he could have a pinched nerve along the back as a result of bulging disc. In other words, the disc is placing pressure on the spinal cord and interfering with the nervous input to his limbs. For this reason he appears wobbly.

Dr. Peter :

The best option in this case is to have him immediately checked by a veterinarian, do not wait. If vet concludes that the wobbly limbs is indeed secondary to a pinched nerve they can start him on prescription anti inflammatory medication. The sooner we treat these patients the better the prognosis.

Dr. Peter :

Unfortunately there is nothing over the counter that I can recommend. We are very limited as to what you can do at home. I am sorry.

Dr. Peter :

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

JACUSTOMER-acdkxyu7- :

Oh god.bless him hes not complaining at all.i will have to contact local vet.thankyou for youre help.

Dr. Peter :

You're welcome.