Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My golden retriever who is 9 years old went long walk

Customer Question

My golden retriever who is 9 years old went for a long walk in the woods yesterday. Today he has a job to get up, because his back legs seem very stiff and sore. Is there anything I can do please.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin

Yes, you have two choices for safe over the counter analgesics. The first is aspirin dosed at 20 mg/kg with food every 12 hours as necessary. The second is acetaminophen/paracetamol dosed at 15 mg/kg thrice daily. Aspirin is preferred because it's not only an analgesic but provides antiinflammatory action. Acetaminophen's efficacy is circumspect in dogs. You must avoid ibuprofen and naproxen - both of which are toxic to dogs.

For a more chronic approach to geriatric osteoarthritis you have additional options. We use a multimodal approach to osteoarthritis in our dogs - dietary management, nonsteroidal antiinflammatory pain relief, neutraceuticals, life-style changes and stem cell therapy. When used concomitantly these approaches should synergize and provide the best control of symptoms. For example, Dylan might show considerable improvement if you add fish oil to his diet. The omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil are antiinflammatory. I use the cost-effective generic human fish oils and dose them at 40 mg/kg daily of the EPA in the fish oil. You'll find the amount of EPA on the label of the fish oil product.

Avoid flax oil because it is poorly bioavailable to dogs. They can't metabolize it properly.

If you prefer, there are diets that are extremely high in omega-3 fatty acids. Hill's Prescription Diet j/d is one such diet.

Many vets feel that injections of Adequan (polysulfated glycosaminoglycan) work better than oral neutraceuticals such as glucosamine/chondroiton sulfate. Adequan is injected into Dylan weekly for a number of weeks at his vet's discretion. You can read more about Adequan here: http://www.adequancanine.us/

Regenerative stem cell therapy has come into its own and is now available for addressing osteoarthritis in dogs . Please see Vet-Stem's website here for more information:***@******.*** The regenerative stem cells are created from Dylan's fat cells and are capable of differentiating into a variety of tissue types including tendon, ligament, bone, cartilage, and muscle and have been proven to reduce pain and inflammation.

We have to suspect that just as in people, geriatric osteoarthritis in dogs is painful. If a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug NSAID) such as aspirin or the prescription carprofen or meloxicam available from Dylans' vet isn't sufficient for controlling pain, please consider adding a well-tolerated narcotic such as the prescription tramadol to the therapies mentioned above.

Weight reduction is essential. The less weight his joints need to carry, the better.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Dylan, please?