Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Good Morning, Please can you give me an update on what is

Good Morning,
Please can you give me an update on what is happening with the availability of Scabivax?
My local vets are not able to get it from their supplier as yet, and as I am just about to start the lambing, I am getting really concerned. Orf is on my croft so have to vaccinate the lambs within two weeks of birth every year, and there really is not another option.
Any advice?
Patricia MacPhail
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, Patricia. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today.

Now this has been a real bugbear since the issues with availability were caused by unexpected manufacturing delays. This means that we are at the mercy of the company sorting out those issues but then producing enough vaccine to get through their back log of orders before we can even get back to regular availability.

Therefore, with the necessity in your flock's situation, I would advise contacting MSD Animal Health directly to get an availability date from the source. You can find their contact details HERE. Do make them aware of your situation, as they may have alternative options that could be of use. As well, they may be able to obtain the vaccine from stocks they may have in other countries (though your vet may need to fill out a Special Import Certificate if that is the case).

Overall, in this situation, we are still waiting for this vaccine to get back into regular circulation. Since time is of the essence for you, do contact MSD directly. Otherwise, do have a search around the internet to see if any online pharmacies still have it stockpiled (as your vet can write a prescription if need be).

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for that Dr B. Will try the MSD.

Patricia MacPhail

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome,

Hopefully, if we go to the source, we can get some definitive answers and keep your lambs protected.Smile

All the best,
Dr. B.