Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Our 15 year old cat has been attacked by a Staff and he is

Our 15 year old cat has been attacked by a Staff and he is struggling to walk on 3 legs. He does not appear to be in pain but is quite stressed. Please advise. Clive Marrison
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, Clive. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago was Woolfie attacked?

You noted that you cannot touch his leg, why?
Will he not allow it?

Is he dragging this leg or holding it up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Attacked about 9.00 this morning. We couldn't do anything then as we had a commitment.
No he won't
Dragging
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Clive,

If he won't allow you to examine this leg and he is dragging it, he is actually very likely to be painful. Cats are a prey species, so they do try to pretend there is nothing wrong when they can but when in pain will be resistant to handling of the sore leg. So, even if he is being stoic, we do have major concerns here. Especially since dragging the leg raises worries of bone fractures, hip dislocations, severe muscle trauma as well as nerve damage.

So, in this case, I must warn you that Woolfie may be putting on a brave face here. This level of lameness and his resistance to letting you palpate the leg are major red flags of pain and injury. Therefore, in this case, the best thing to do would be to have him seen urgently. His vet can pinpoint the extent of damage and get him started on cat safe pain relief (since our own pain medications are poisonous to our cats). If this is only bruising and muscle strain, then that will be all he needs. But if the hip is dislocated or the leg is fractured, he may need further treatment. And if his vet found severe nerve damage (a bit less likely if he can feel you touching his leg), then medical management would be indicated but if he failed to respond he could need the leg removed.

Overall, Woolfie isn't being truthful with you. Based on his signs, stress is likely but so is pain. Therefore, in case if you were keen to have him seen today, some veterinary practices in our country have office hours today. As well, I wanted to mention that most veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. If they are open, you can get him seen today. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet you can find one local to you, you can check the RCVS Register (HERE) to find your local vets or Vets Now (LINK) who are open all nights/weekends. In any case, if you wanted to get him checked out sooner then there are options to have him seen today too.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. As we can't pick up our cat will they come to us?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome,

It would be ideal if he could be picked up (perhaps you could try placing a thick towel or blanket over him to grab him) and taken in to the vets, since they will have all their equipment there (should he need an xray).

That said, if you absolutely cannot catch him, then do ring the vet practice and let them know. We often offer home visits for situations like this, but the protocol on the weekends (since often only one vet is on to care for all the local animals) does vary by practice. They may be able to come out to you, offer medication to sedate him for you to bring him in, or potentially even send their nurse out to catch him for you and bring him in. They will work with you to get him the help he needs.

All the best for Woolfie,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you again. At present my wife is talking to our emergency vet and it sounds as though we have an appointment.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome,

That sounds good. Hopefully, Woolfie won't have any serious harm from this dog attack and just respond to some strong kitty safe pain relief.

Best wishses for Woolfie,
Dr. B.