Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I ha e a dog which has just come in from Romania. Severely

I ha e a dog which has just come in from Romania. Severely underweight & with an open sore on shoulder which he keeps licking. Will take to my local vet tomorrow but what can I do to ease his discomfort?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How deep is the wound? Is it a puncture or inflamed raw lesion?
Is the wound actively bleeding?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is a puncture but not bleeding....some sort of clear pus &skin looks red &swollen. He keeps licking although I am trying to stop him

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

First, if the discharge is clear, this will likely be serous type fluid and not pus (which looks snotty when present). In any case, we do want to start some supportive care at this stage until he is seen. To start, I would advise cleaning the wound with a diluted antiseptic (either chlorohexidine or iodine, both should be diluted to a weak tea like color). This should be done 2-3 times a day, and discharges should be washed away. If he is amenable, you can also use a syringe (wo/ a needle) to flush the inside of the puncture hole or wound where the discharge is originating.

Since his licking this wound must be prevented (as his saliva will be full of bacteria and inoculating the wound with infection), we would need to consider either placing a buster collar (which most pet stores carry) or
tshirt (if the lesion is in a coverable locale). This way you can protect the wound from further self-trauma until he is seen tomorrow.

Now in regards ***** ***** pain, I must say that if he is severely painful with this, then you may want to consider having him seen sooner. This way you could get him on treatment with dog safe pain relief (ie previcox, rimadyl, metacam, etc) and antibiotics now and get him on the road to recovery quicker.

Otherwise, if that is not an option and since this has not been bleeding, you can
offering a low dose of buffered aspirin. This is a mild pain relief that we can use in dogs in these situations. You can read more about using aspirin and the dose for him size HERE. Do note that if he is already on any of these aforementioned dog safe pain relievers or steroids, aspirin should be avoided (as they share similar pathways). And if you do give aspirin, remember to give it with or after food and consider pre-treating with an antacid (ie Pepcid, Zantac) to avoid stomach irritation. As well, do make his vet aware that he has had this tomorrow when he is seen, since they will need to use an alternative pain relief medication until the aspirin is out of his system.

Finally, just to note in case you were keen to have him seen today, some veterinary practices in our country have office hours today. As well, I wanted to mention that most veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. If they are open, you can get him seen today. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet you can find one local to you, you can check the RCVS Register (HERE) to find your local vets or Vets Now (LINK) who are open all nights/weekends. In any case, if you wanted to get him checked out sooner then there are options to have him seen today too.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.