Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My fiancé in the USA wants to bring her dog with her when she

My fiancé in the USA wants to bring her dog with her when she moves to the UK sometime later this year. I have read the DEFRA regs concerning the importing of a pet dog. At the moment the dog has no microchip fitted but has had a rabies and parvo inoculation a month ago when it was neutered which has been documented. I understand that the dog must be microchipped first then a rabies shot given where all the details are logged onto a pet passport. Is it ok for the dog to have two rabies shots in the space of two or three months?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.
Now it is a bit of red tape with the microchip administration prior to rabies vaccination ( its intended to ensure the dog with that microchip number is ***** one that recieved the innoculation), but it is fine and will do her dog no harm to have a second rabies vaccination after the microchip has been placed. So, she can have him chipped and then follow this with the second rabies vaccination in order to get his passport ready for the big move.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the information and for putting our minds at rest over the question of the rabies shot.

Regards,

Robin.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome, Robin.
I am glad that I could give you both peace of mind about this situation and getting her lad ready for travel.
All the best for the relocation,
Dr. B.