Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Got 2 budgies, one of each, 2 weeks ago. Female has been regurgitating

Customer Question

Got 2 budgies, one of each, 2 weeks ago. Female has been regurgitating food for last 3 days, they have mated several times since we got them. she fluffs feathers up 2-3 times a day even though room is warm and makes wimpering noises in morning and at night.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I would need to differentiate Tut's regurgitation due to breeding behavior from illness. By the principle of Occam's Razor it would be reasonable to assume that her regurgitation is part of her breeding ritual but I'm concerned that she also becomes fluffed - often a sign of illness in birds.

Impacted and "sour" crop are common causes of regurgitation. Yeast may overgrow in the crop giving it the characteristic "sour" odor. Whether the yeast infection is primary or arises because of crop stasis due to another disorder is unknown. You'll need to have an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org) check Tut all over paying particular attention to her crop. If it needs attention, it's usually drained and an antimicrobial solution instilled into it. Specific antiyeast/antibacterial drugs may be prescribed.

Here's a good synopsis of ritualistic regurgitation for you: http://pets.thenest.com/budgie-parakeets-regurgitate-12470.html Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.