Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

, I wonder if you could tell me why my little tortoise might

Hi, I wonder if you could tell me why my little tortoise might be blowing bubbles out of his nose?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your tortoise.

Dr. Jo :

I'm so sorry he's having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

Dr. Jo :

You may join the conversation by typing in what you want to say, then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

Dr. Jo :

I'm sorry to say that the most common reason a tortoise will blow bubbles from his nose is because of a respiratory infection.

Dr. Jo :

Pneumonia is possible, as is a sinus infection.

Dr. Jo :

These infections can be particularly insidious in tortoises, so I would advise having this checked out by a knowledgeable and experienced herp vet as soon as possible.

Dr. Jo :

The vet will be able to do a thorough physical examination and the necessary diagnostic tests to determine the source of the problem and what kind of treatment is indicated.

Dr. Jo :

Depending on what your vet finds, he or she may also want to take x-rays, and will most likely examine some of the bubble stuff under the microscope in order to make a diagnosis.

Dr. Jo :

Unfortunately, there isn't any home care I can recommend for this problem. Your tortoise really needs professional medical care for this issue.

Dr. Jo :

Again, you may join the conversation by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY.

Dr. Jo :

I'm sorry I missed my opportunity to have a live discussion with you.

Dr. Jo :

Please know that I am here to help.

Dr. Jo :

You may still reply when you return online. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss this with you until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.
You may return to this page at any time to review the information and/or post more. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I am not surprised he has an infection, he has been missing all winter and it is only by some incredible miracle that I found him this morning a long way from home, and alive. I don't know if we have such a vet around here, I live in a rural area, mostly farms and large household pets, however, I will make enquiries in the morning.

I do have a question though, if he needs an antibiotic for instance, how do you dose him, he is only 6yrs old and 6 inches long?

Thanks again

Jen

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much for getting back to me. My first response is OHMYGOODNESS!!!
It really is a miracle that you got him back after this grand adventure! I am so shocked!
With tortoises we typically give medications orally or by injection. It's actually pretty easy to do either one. When I have a pet owner with a tortoise who needs shots, I usually teach them how to do it so they can administer the injections at home.
It's so wonderful you got him back. Now the challenge remains to get him well. I do so hope you're able to find a vet willing to work with him and you.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
If you go to YouTube and search under, "How to give a Tortoise a Shot", there are several videos.
Here's a link to one...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKIO4vENEWk
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions.
I'm happy to help.
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.