Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

my kio carp has what lokks like a huge wart on the end of

Hi my kio carp has what lokks like a huge wart on the end of its nose ! He feeds ok and swims about but it's so I'm worried about him now ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has he had this lump?

Is it ulcerated, smooth, or multilobed?

What was the active ingredient in your treatment?

Could you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, I am happy to have a look (since it will let me see what you are seeing). To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar (More Info). Or you can post them on a 3rd party site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh hi at last , I've not been able to open this answer ,so sorry to keep you waiting ,I have a I pad and can't send the picture I have ,but the big wart looking lump ,is very much like a cabbage
It blue and red he has had it for about twelve months now ,as it started off as a little spot
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
No worries Tricia,

That is a shame that you cannot send a photo, as it would let me see what you are seeing. Still if this mass is pedunculated like a cabbage, then I'd be highly suspicious that you are seeing the work of lymphocystis (a herpes virus). This virus causes mass type growths on the fish that will appear as soft tissue masses arising from the epidermal layer of the fish (rather then deeper in the muscle). There doesn't tend to be any irritation, ulceration, or infection with these types of lesions. And really they tend to be more unpleasant for us to look at then being actually harmful the fish in itself.

Lymphocystis is actually becoming a more common finding in the domestic goldfish/koi world, mostly due to the ‘silent carrier’ nature of asymptomatic fish. The virus often infects these fish then lies latent, sometimes causing no disease in the carrier fish. Still we tend to see a problem with this virus when it does recrudesce and causes these viral induced masses to appear in the infected fish. This recrudesce is often linked to a weakness in their immune system (either because of their age, stress, if the fish is immunosuppressed or fighting some kind of infection that takes the attention of the immune system). And it is this time of weakness that triggers the herpes virus causes its mischief.

I am afraid that there is no treatment for this virus, and with time they tend to increase in size and can become pedunculated and prone to trauma/infection. We can sometimes surgically remove them, but the stress of surgery can potentially lead to more lumps appearing.

With all this in mind, I have to warn you that the only reliable way to get rid of this virus in your pond would be to cull all fish that are in this pond (which would be unfortunate) and have a full drain/sterilize (probably wait a few weeks) and then start again. That said, I personally wouldn't advocate for this but instead would advise that it'd be kindest to maintain the stock you have, know this is a risk and make sure water parameters are as best they can be and disease risk factors are as low as possible, to deter lymphocystis recrudensece. I would say if you chose to continue with this stock (I probably would because it is a benign condition that they can still live normal lives with) that you should perhaps avoid bringing in new fish since any new comers could contract this (if they don't have it already) and develop masses as well.

Please take care,

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.