Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have a 3yr old westie male and last couple of nights

Customer Question

I have a 3yr old westie male and for the last couple of nights late on he has vomited up his meal and there are bits of his dental stick and bits of a vegetable chewie in their too. And tonight he vomited up his dinner not long after eating it and tonight his poo is also very runny. He sometimes eats grass to get rid of the acid in his tummy and gets rid of it very quick, I know westies are very prone to gastric problems but I just want to make sure before I take him to the vet. He is still bouncing about apart from the sickness thing and is never unwell unlike his sister who is always at the vet for one thing or another. Any info would be gladly welcome
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now we can see upper and lower GI upset of this nature caused by a range of agents. Common ones at Max's age would be bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, parasites, protozoa, dietary indiscretions, inflammatory GI issues (ie IBD), and while hopefully less likely, toxic or foreign body ingestion.

With all this in mind, if he is bright and bouncy, then we can try some supportive care first to see if this is just a bit of benign upset or related to a dietary indiscretion. First, your bland diet options are spot on. Of course, you do want to make sure to stop the treats (including the dental stick and chewie) and offer these bland meals as a few small ones over the course of the day. This will make the gut's work easier, facilitate nutritional uptake, reduce vomiting post-meals, and reduce diarrhoea volumes.

Further to this, you can consider trying him today on a GI soothing anti-diarrhoeal treatment. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if his diarrhoea is being caused by an infectious agent (ie bacteria will require antibiotics, parasites or protozoa will require anti-parasitic treatment, etc). Still it can slow the diarrhoea to aid the body to absorb more water/nutrients. Furthermore, these treatments will coat the GI and could just settle the GI upset and reduce nausea too. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the ones we most commonly use in dogs is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose ) or PeptoBismol (More Info/Dose ) available from your local pharmacy. Furthermore, Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vet practices) would be another option. All will soothe his stomach and slow diarrhoea and the Pro-Fiber has the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI. So, you can consider trying these as a short term means of trying to soothe his upset GI.

Overall, we do have a few concerns when we see GI upset of this nature. Still, if Max is bright, keeping hydrated, and his signs are mild; then we can use the light diet combined with one of the above treatments to see if we can soothe his gut and halt his signs. Of course, if you find he doesn't settle by Monday or starts to feel poorly, then we'd want to consider a check with his vet at that stage. If possible, you can take a fecal sample in for them to see what he is passing. Depending on their exam and fecal findings, they will be able to advise you if he has picked up something infectious and dispense appropriate treatment (ie antibiotics, anti-protozoal medication, anti-nausea medication, etc) to clear this for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the advice for my westie, had him at the vet today and all ok, he got the paste to help with the bowel and his appetite is back to normal but still on chicken and rice for another few days as his pancreas etc is still very tender the vet says due to all the sickness, and just gentle exercise for the next few days which is hard for him as he loves his long walks. Once again thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, Julie.

I am very glad to hear that his vet didn't find anything overly worrisome and that he is on the mend. Your treatment plan sounds perfect and hopefully we will see him settle in the next few days.

Keep up the good work & I am sure he will be back to his long walks in no time,
Dr. B.