DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine- class of 2007.
24095035

there we have recently bought a 12h pony 7 year old

Hi there we have recently bought a 12h pony for my 7 year old (breed unrecorded) he is 17 years old and seems fighting fit. With his former owner he was out 24/7, but due to a change in grass (ours is very lush at the moment) we have been monitoring very closely and started bringing him in to make sure he does not get laminitus. The only area I am worried about is he is very hard down the top of his mane and although his tail is very full his mane is quite thin. I have checked all other tell tell signs for Lami and asked for a second opinion on our yard. Do you think this is anything to worry about? Shall I get my Vet to give him a once over?
Thanks Catherine
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help.Many ponies with any kind of Welsh or Shetland component to their breed can have very hard fat deposits and connective tissue in their nuchal area (the area of the neck where the mane grows out of). Being overweight will make this worse but sometimes it never goes away. It is not a sign of laminitis but if due to obesity can be a contributing factor to developing laminitis if other triggers are allowed. If the pony is walking and moving well and has normal looking feet than you are probably ok. Definitely continue to restrict access to lush pasture or do not let him on it at all.If he seems stiff on the front feet or sore or the feet look dished or have ridges in them, then it might be a good idea to have a vet check him out and give you a more definitive idea of his potential laminitis risk and past.I hope this helps. Best of luck.