Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My cat has developed a lump on his head. My vet took a sample

Customer Question

My cat has developed a lump on his head. My vet took a sample from the lump and sent it to lab. They say its likely to be lymphoma as lymphocytes in sample. Vet suggested biopsy but not wanting to distress cat further especially as if confirmed I don't want to put him through chemo especially as it doesn't increase cat's lifespan significantly. Is there any way to confirm diagnosis without general anaesthetic etc? Also I read symptoms of lymphoma are loss of appetite, loss of weight, vomiting and incontinence- none of which my cat displays. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, John.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning John and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Your vet is correct, John, that to know for sure, a biopsy should be done. A cat with Lymphoma will often have the signs you descrribed as well as enlarged peripheral lymph nodes that Tai Chi is not showing. It will help to have your vet run a complete blood panel to check for any other abnormaloities, John, and if none are found, I would assume that Tai Ci is not suffering from this or is not in the immediate stages that would require treatment. This disease does not have any good treatment so keep Tai Ci happy and healthy as you can John.

This LINK will explain in more detail

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****