Joan
Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
5071285

my grandson's gecko lizard has stopped eating and her tank

Customer Question

my grandson's gecko lizard has stopped eating and her tank smells terrible even though it's cleaned regularly. She also has a problem with shed getting stuck on her eyes.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Joan replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet Tech for 30+ years with special interest n reptiles and reptile rescue.
Can you tell me about the set up?
Diet?
Supplements?
Yemperature?
Substrate/Bedding?
Temperatures in enclosure?
Heat source?
Joan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Joan

Sorry for the delay in replying:

Diet - meal worms and wax worms, does not like crickets

Supplements - Calc dust

Temp - not sure

Substrate - Calcium sand

Heat source - external heat pad

Cheers

Carole & Nathan

Expert:  Joan replied 2 years ago.
It is possible the calcium sand has caused a blockage or partial blockage. This is a big problem. It is sold as a safe substrate and is actually deadly and turns like concrete in the intestinal tract. The first thing I would like you to do is dispose of it and use paper or cage carpet which is much safer. The sand will also cause shedding problems.
I would like you to make a moist hide for the enclosure. You can uuse a glad ware container and cut a hole in it and put a mosit paper towel on the lid and place in enclosure on warm side of the tank.
The Gecko needs to see a Herp Vet and I will gve you a link for some: http://www.livefoods.co.uk/Vets.php# ***** can check the stool for parasites as well as make sure the eye caps are not retained.
I would like you to make a shallow soak of Dioralyte and warm water 50/50 and give the gecko a saok. While in the soak gently massage the abdomen. This will help clear the system of sand.
For feeding, please mix some baby food chicken with some calcium powder and drop on the snout and allow the Gecko to lick it off. We do not want to force feed because it can go into the lungs. This is a supplemental feeding. You can also try and give a little cooked liver, since a Vitamin A deficeny can cause the poor shed too.
Please let me know if I have addressed your concerns. If I have please take a moment to rate my service so I can be compensated for my time and answers.
Joan