Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My budgies have scaly face and as i keep them in a large aviary,

Customer Question

my budgies have scaly face and as i keep them in a large aviary, it would be easy-er if i could treat them with some thing that i could mix in there drinking water I have been told you can get ivermectin to put in there water but i cant get any I have tried our vet but he suggested drops ones a week for three weeks but this would be difficult as there are so many birds in my aviary could you tell me if it is correct about the ivermectin and if so where could I get some
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin

Ideally, we want to treat each bird individually by mouth or topically but if that's impractical you can see how ivermectin placed in the water affects your birds. It would be prudent to treat just a few initially to make sure that it's being well tolerated. You would dose twice - 10 to 14 days apart.

The dose I use is 0.2 mg/kg orally. A budgie weighs an average of 0.03 kg. 0.2 mg/kg x 0.03 kg = 0.0006 mg of ivermectin.

A budgie drinks approximately 5 ml of water daily so we would want 0.0006 mg of ivermectin to be present in each 5 ml of water. This is equivalent to 0.12 mg of ivermectin in each 1000 ml (1 liter) of water.

1% ivermectin solution contains 10 mg/ml of ivermectin. 0.12 mg/10 mg/ml = 0.012 ml of 1% ivermectin solution added to 1 liter of water and offered to your birds twice 10-14 days apart. This is a very small amount of ivermectin and a microsyringe should be used to measure out such a small amount. You can purchase 1% invermectin over the counter at an agricultural merchant - it might be a horse or cow product but ivermectin is ivermectin - at least when given orally. I suggest having your vet involved in preparing the solution. Overdosing could be lethal and underdosing ineffective.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.