Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Our cairn is 4 years old 5months ago she had surgeryvto

Customer Question

Our cairn bitch is 4 years old 5months ago she had surgeryvto remove in growing hair from her vulva , this began when she became obsessed with licking heself after urinating, this has started again , she sniffs her own urine and other dogs are always sniffing her rear end, the hair around her rear end is short, no trouble with long hair. No crystals were found after tests at her last episode of licking .No problems were found with her liver. After around an hour of distress, she stops licking herself and becomes more settled, she sleeps ok at night. She has startedlicking after every passing of urine
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It appears that Lexi may have an obsessive/Compulsive Disorder that is causing this behavior to become a habit. It also could be that the irritation in this area is cauisng her to lick. The best thing to try is to aply a cortisone creme to this area to decrease the inflammation. If this is becoming a habit, you may be forced to use an Elizabethan Collar on sweet little lexi to get her past this. I have had good results using a DAP Collar which is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and decreases anxiety along with the collar.

Try the cortisone after she urinates to see if that will help first....

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much, Barry, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope sweet Lexi can get past this soon!

Have a wonderful day!