DrJessicaO
DrJessicaO, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of private practice with dogs, cats, exotics, pocket pets, etc
41353408

Our springer 5 year old Springer Spaniel has eaten 6 cheap

Customer Question

HI.Our springer 5 year old Springer Spaniel has eaten 6 cheap raw pork sausages
Do we need to get her to a vet
Many Thanks
Michele Cattell
Expert:  DrJessicaO replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
My name is***** and I would like to help you and Isobel. The danger in raw pork sausages is they can cause a bacterial infection of the gastro-intestinal tract as well as pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas), leading to vomiting, diarrhea, and inappetence. I recommend monitoring Isobel closely. You can offer her Pepcid every 12 hours (for a dog who is 30-55 lbs, 10 mg twice daily) and switch Isobel to a bland diet such as boiled chicken and white rice. Start giving her plain yogurt- 2 tablespoons twice daily in the food- to help act as a probiotic. This will promote "good" GI bacteria to help prevent bad bacteria from causing a problem.
If Isobel develops blood in the stool, black/tarry stools, vomiting (over 2-3 times in 24 hours or vomiting blood at any time), severe lethargy/depression, or stops eating, she needs to be seen right away for further treatment.
I hope this information helps! All of my best with her, and please let me know if you have any additional questions.
-Dr. Jessica