Vet
Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with all the major species.
76153631

On friday morning one of our calves had the scour , we

Customer Question

hi on friday morning one of our calves had the scour , we gave it two tablets from the vets . on saturday morning the scour had cleared up. in the after noon i noticed the calf frothing at its mouth and kicking a little at its stomach , took down to our vets and she gave it a long acting antiobitic and and a pain killer . when got home i let him back in to his mother and he went for a suck . he only suckled for 30 seconds then it looked like he was chewing his chud . within a 2 mins he had threw up wat milk he had drunk and he has contined to do this last night and all day today . just wondering if u have any ideas thanks

Expert:  Vet replied 2 years ago.
Sounds awfully like he has an obstruction in his gut. Has he passed any dung since the scour? Is he blowing up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i havnt seen any . but the vet made him dung but nothing since .. i have a feeling that he might have got a pieice of plastic and ate it . if i was plastic is it able to be got out ?

Expert:  Vet replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, the email didn't notify me of your reply.
If there is a piece of plastic in there then he will require surgery, so you need to get a quote from your vet and decide whether the op would be worth it. The calf will also need supportive treatment such as IV drips. If you bring the calf in to the vet's yourself you will, of course, save call out fees and improve his chances of survival as the op and immediaite aftercare can be done in a clean surgery.
A calf with a bowel obstruction will be dehydrated, pale, not eating or dunging, and may show some staggering about, kicking at the belly and a swelling abdomen. His temperature will generally be low.
For tonight, my advice is to give a dose of Lectade or similar and just watch him for 10 minutes or so. In the morning, phone your vet to get an idea of costs and then make your decision.
Keep the questions coming if you are at all unsure. Vet Andrew