Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

My two year old westie is about to have her first litter, this

My two year old westie is about to have her first litter, this is day 58 from first day of cover. This morning I noticed a bright green (colour of grass) discharge from her vulva. I rang the vet who said this would be the colour of the mucus plug. After since reading online many variations in what a mucus plug looks like and that it can melt over several hours I feel totally confused. Got 'the book of the bitch' but this doesn't give any indication of colour. Please can you help put my mind at ease, or should I be worried and take her down to the vet? She doesn't like the car so think this may upset and stress her a bit.
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today.
Green discharge indicates placental separation. If she is not clearly in active labor now, I highly recommend having her seen at a local vet. We need to use ultrasound to evaluated the pups and check heart rates.
Normal canine fetal HRs typically are greater than 200 bpm. Fetal distress is indicated at 170 bpm and is severe at 150 bpm. Anything around 150 indicates the need for an immediate C-section.
Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your advice Dr Susan.

I consulted with my vet, he assured me there was nothing to worry about as she was in the early stages of labour. She has now delivered eight very beautiful puppies, 4 male 4 female. One of the females is a little on the small side so I'm keeping my eye on her to make sure she gets her fair share of mum!

Thanks again.

Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Excellent! Congratulations on the little ones!