Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

We found a wild rabbit on a busy road. We managed to move

We found a wild rabbit on a busy road. We managed to move it off the road but it then ran about randomly and kept on bashing into things. It let us get very close and we noticed that it's eyes were shut. They're not puffy but don't open and the rim is a bit red/white. The rabbit fills two hands cupped together but otherwise seems fine. Is the rabbit ok? Should we try cleaning the eyes or use our hands to open them?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. Bad news I am afraid, I spent most of my working like in the UK { Essex } and over the years saw many rabbits like that, there is a very high chance that with symptoms like that you are dealing with a rabbit in the early stages of myxamatosis, more info HERE 2. While you will be doing no harm by gently irrigating this rabbits eyes with luke warm water you best course of action is to have a vet check the rabbit over and confirm the diagnosis. If it is just a simple eye infection then antibiotic eye drops can be dispensed if it is indeed myxamatosis your vet will advise you from there. In most cases it would be a kindness to gently put such rabbits to sleep as this is often an intractable and progressive disease. But these days resistance to the virus has started to creep in so that it is possible that with careful nursing a very few might pull through. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.