Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Teddy the dog one year bought from barnsley but we have no

Customer Question

teddy the dog one year bought from barnsley but we have no record card for jabs lady told us he was due in april for booster. Wrote to owner but had no reply how can i get him boosted if i have no record. thanks
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. While we would have doubts about his vaccination history if his former owner didn't provide vaccination records (some people can be less then honest), you can still get his booster done. If we wanted to be absolutely sure he is up to date and therefore safe, you could choose to have his vet restart his vaccines as if he were a puppy without a vaccine history at all. This would mean he'd have one injection at the first visit with a second 2 weeks later. Afterwards, as you would have proof of his vaccination, he'd only need an annual booster. Otherwise, if you have faith in his previous owner having had him vaccinated, then you can request that his vet only booster him on that basis. Alternatively, just ot note, if you know what vet supposedly vaccinated him last year before, you can also request that your vet ring hers (her vet will need to contact her for permission before answering this question, but this may be a way to get some answers if she isn't replying to you). So, that too would be an option. Overall, even if we do not have records of vaccination, this doesn't mean that we cannot vaccinated Teddy. So, the above are all options for you to consider. But as he is young (and therefore doesn't have a long history of vaccination potentially behind him), if there is any doubt then do consider having his vet restart his vaccinations (its usually just around a tenner more to do so) as if he were a pup to make totally sure he is up to date and protected. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )