Joan
Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
5071285

My Royal python wont eat despite me regularly offering her

Customer Question

My Royal python wont eat despite me regularly offering her large mice. She's now nearly three and I have a four foot viv, (the temperature is usually about 25 degrees). The last time she ate was in October. She is still lively and bright but her last shed also came off in pieces, (although she has no attached shed left on her). What am I doing wrong?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Joan replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue.
Have you checked for retained eye caps?
Is she active?
Type of bedding being used?
Does he strike at the prey at all?
Any strange behaviors, like star gazing?
How long since she has eaten?
Is she producing stool?
Is she getting regular soaks?
Joan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Coco is active and doesn't appear to have retained eye caps. She was zooming around the viv last night. Her bedding is newspaper and she doesn't soak in her water bowl. The shed before was fine, though I did spray her with Tropical Mist humidifying spray. I have not seen her star gazing and as she hasn't eaten since last Ocotber she hasn't produced any stool. I'm wondering if I need to heat the viv more, although she ate when I first got her so..

I can't seem to get her to strike at her prey, she just doesnt seem interested. Are there any particular ways I could get her to strike?

Expert:  Joan replied 2 years ago.
Habitat, temperatures and shedding all have to do with whether a snake will not eat. Make sure that your temps are correct.Lighting can affect the snakes as they will not hibernate, but without the proper light cycle it can decrease the appetite.
It is known that some snakes can go off prey for a year at a time. I would make sure the snake is getting a good soak, so he/sh is not getting dehydrated. Get a weight to be sure he is not loosing weight.
Try some different type of prey. Some snakes will start eating if the diet is changed up a bit. You can try braining the mice which is allowing the fluid from around the brain area to leak afte make an incision or cutting through the skull. Try a Hamster or a Gerbil to see if different prey make a difference.
If there seems to be weight loss, then a Herp Vet Visit should be done. If you need a Herp Vet. These are Herp Vets in the UK: http://www.livefoods.co.uk/Vets.php#
Pythons and Boas are known to go on hunger strikes at different times of the year. During breeding season and winter months we see the hunger strikes. This may be one of those incidents.
Keep up with soaks, get the weight and monitor it for any loss. Try different foods. try waiting two weeks before offering food. If this continues, you may need to see a Herp Vet if this continues and there is weight loss.
http://www.petplace.com/reptiles/anorexia-in-snakes/page1.aspx
If I have addressed you questions Please take a moment to rate my service so I can be compensated for my time and answer.
Joan