Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My ten year old dog was diagnosed with spasmed gall bladder

Customer Question

My ten year old dog was diagnosed with spasmed gall bladder and elevated liver enzymes last week. She was in hospital for tests for days. Fine when she came home. But today her sides are swollen, can't eat, breathing fast, throwing up even water. Can't see a vet til morning. Can I give her anything to give her some relief? Mary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again Mary and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. I know this may very well what you do not want to hear but given Bobo's condition I have to say that there is really nothing you can do to help her on a home remedy basis. All you can do is to try and keep her as comfortable and reassured as possible and then get her to a vet at the first possible opportunity. 2. Things are not good though, if her sides are swollen and she is breathing fast then this is typical of ascities { Fluid build up in the abdominal cavity } this can happen with serious liver conditions such as liver failure or tumours of the liver and also other conditions such as congestive cardiac failure. If this is what your dog is suffering from { Ascities } then your vet may be able to ease the situation with prescription drugs such as diuretics. So sorry I cannot suggest anything more constructive ... I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Scott , Thank you. What I expected really. There was no sign if cancer in scans or xrays last week, and her heart was fine,apparently anyway. Do you think treatment possible, or is not good? Mary

Hi Mary, Very glad to talk this over with you further ... Gall bladder problems, high liver enzymes, plus fluid build up in the abdomen pretty well always adds up to something serious, but on the other hand it is encouraging that no signs of cancer were found and her heart seems OK. Treatment at least to ease the symptoms at least may be possible ... Good luck with her , Scott
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Any point in asking for any particular tests e.g. liver biopsy, or others?

Hi Mary. Well given Bobo's current symptoms your vet's first priority will be to get her stable and under control and only then consider further diagnostics. After this is achieved if blood tests keep indicating some form of liver disease then certainly a biopsy could be useful. Regards, Scott