Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I have a female guinea pig that is 1 years old. I was just

Hi. I have a female guinea pig that is 1 years old. I was just stroking her under the chin and i noticed a lump. It is quite big and feels kind of soft. I can't get to the vet for another 12 hours. Is there anything you can suggest I can give her to help? any suggestions on what it could be also?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Fluffy. I'm sorry she's having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
The most common thing to cause a swelling under the chin of an otherwise healthy young guinea pig like this is an abscess. I wouldn't expect this to make her particularly ill, and waiting 12 hours shouldn't be a problem. Most abscesses in guinea pigs have to be surgically removed; just treating them with oral antibiotics isn't usually successful.
The only home care I would advise would be to ...
1. Isolate her from any other guinea pigs so you don't have to worry about this spreading in case it's something contagious. This also eliminates the possibility of any other GPs picking on her since she's not completely healthy.
2. Monitoring food and water intake and fecal output.
3. Keeping track of any other symptoms.
More to follow...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what would of caused an absess? is there anyway it could just be drained? how risky is surgery for a guinea pig? am i able to gi her any anti inflammatorys or anything we would give a human?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
The most common reason for an abscess is an injury, like a puncture wound. It can be a bite from another guinea pig, or an injury from something in the cage. It can also happen from a dental problem.
Yes, it is possible to simply drain it, although doing so without sedation can be quite painful. With that being the case, as long as you're going to sedate a guinea pig, I'd go ahead and completely remove the abscess. The risks of surgery on a guinea pig are minimal as long as it's being done by an experienced and qualified veterinarian who's used to dealing with guinea pigs.
Please do not give her any human or over-the-counter medications, especially because we don't know for sure what this is or what kind of treatment she needs. We don't want to do anything that could make it worse or endanger her.