Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My little kitten has got flu and has developed diarhia is

my little kitten has got flu and has developed diarhia is this normal
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Do you know what antibiotic was given?

Did the diarrhea start at the same time as the flu?

Can you describe what his diarrhea looks like?
Any blood or mucus?

When was he last wormed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Convenia 10ml injection no the flu started last Wednesday the diarrhea on Saturday. its muddy brown in colour and almost liquid. there is no blood or mucus. he was wormed last Thursday.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Pat,

Now seeing one infectious agent causing flu and diarrhea signs is not common. Still, what is very common is to see a kitten bombarded by multiple infectious agents at once. And it is quite possible that Tiger's flu stressed immune system just couldn't fight off this opportunistic GI bug.

Now when a kitten has runny feces, we can see a number of causative agents. This includes bacteria, viruses (coronavirus, rotavirus, panleukopenia, etc), parasites (GI worms and the protozoa like coccidia, giardia and also cryptosporidia, tritrichomonas), nutritional sensitivities, stress, and toxins (less likely here).

With all these concerns to consider, we need to rule each one out step by step while providing supportive care. First, its great to see that he has just been wormed since that does rule out one concern for us. Otherwise, the next step here would be to consider putting him on a light/easily digestible diet for the short term. Examples of this would be boiled chicken, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases like Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity. These diets will be easier for his compromised gut to digest and this will ensure more nutrition is absorbed and not just lost to diarrhea. Furthermore, feeding these in small, frequent meals (instead of a few big ones), will further aid the GI in digesting what he eats which will leave less material in the gut to be part of the diarrhea.

As well, as long as you have not seen any blood in his stools, you can consider trying him today on a cat safe anti-diarrheals. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if his diarrhea is being caused by an infectious agent (ie bacteria will require antibiotics, parasites or protozoa will require anti-parasitic treatment, etc). Still it can slow the diarrhea to aid the body to absorb more water/nutrients then it would have if the diarrhea were unchecked. Furthermore, these treatments will coat the GI and could just settle the GI upset. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose) available from your local pharmacy. Or you can have your vet dispense Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vet practices; example). Do avoid using PeptoBismol or any anti-diarrheas that contain aspirin or Loperamide (as they can cause adverse issues). In regards ***** ***** safe options, they both will slow diarrhea and the Pro-Fiber has the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI. You could also consider using any of these with Fortiflora (LINK) which will help settle the good GI bacteria that should be in his GI. So, you can consider trying these as a short term means of trying to soothe his upset GI.

Overall, we do have a lot to consider for Tiger and this diarrhea is likely being caused by an infectious agent that is capitalizing on his immune system fighting off the flu. So, further to his vet's treatment, you can start taking some steps to settle his diarrhea. If you try a bland diet +/- an antidiarrheal agent but the signs don't settle down, then we'd need to consider submitting a fresh fecal sample to his vet for testing. This will tell you what the underlying cause for his diarrhea is. Depening on the findings, this will enables us to isolate the causative agent and allow his vet to dispense targeted treatment to clear it for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.