Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog had a few ticks in her that made her very uncomfortable,

My dog had a few ticks in her that made her very uncomfortable, I've removed them now but her breathing is very quick is this normal or could it be a problem?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for your dog but I do have a few additional questions to ask first, if you don't mind:

1. When did you remove the ticks?
2. Can you tell me how many breaths she's taking in one minute? It would be best to count when she's at rest, rather than running around.
3. Can you tell me the color of her gums?
4. Can you take her temperature?
5. How old is she and what breed is she?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your response,
1) about an hour ago we found 5 ticks 2 fairly large ones.
2) 46 breaths a minute
3) her gums are pink
4) I'm not able to take her temperature however she feels fairly normal nothing excessive
5) she is 14 months old and a sprocker spaniel
Terry
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Terry:
Thanks for the additional information.

Gum color is normal which is good as is the fact that she doesn't feel excessively warm to you. It's always a good idea to double check body temperatures rectally in situations like this just to rule out a fever since not all dogs with elevated temperatures will feel warm.

Normal respiratory rate in a resting, sleeping dog runs about 15-30 breaths per minute so her rate is a little elevated. I wouldn't call it extremely fast but obviously somewhat higher than normal.
Possible reasons for a faster than resting rate could be pain (possibly from the ticks you removed especially if she's "sensitive" soul), a fever, high ambient temperatures/humidity, exercise...to name a few examples.

Unless she seems to be in respiratory distress and having trouble catching her breath, I don't think I'd be too worried about her rate at this point. Signs to monitor where there may be something serious going on would be
if her gum color is white or grey or any color than pink
if she doesn't want to move
if her abdomen is moving really hard up and down when she breaths
if her rate remains significantly elevated when she's just laying down or sleeping/resting.

On the off chance that she may be feeling painful/uncomfortable from the ticks which were attached to her and if she's not vomiting or taking any steroid or non-steroidal anti inflammatory medication, Aspirin can be given at a dose of 10 mg per pound of body weight, with food to avoid stomach upset. This drug also has anti-pain properties which may be of benefit.

I hope this helps and that her rate returns to normal soon. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Terry:
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

Please continue to keep me posted about your girl, if you have a chance. Even though you've rated, we can continue to communicate at no additional charge to you.

Best of luck with her. Kind regards, Deb

Please ignore the information request.