Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

11year old Staffordshir Terrier drinking g excessively

Customer Question

11year old Staffordshir Bull Terrier drinking g excessively and lost bladdercontrol
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Did his urine/water test show that the urine was overly dilute?

Any glucose/sugar found in the urine?

Did you mean that his blood test showed iron deficiency (since this cannot be tested in urine)? If he had bloods tested, was there any other parameters tested and found abnormal?

Is he on any medication?

Has Ben had any weight loss or changes to his appetite?

Do you have any specific questions about Ben's situation (since you have only written in a history?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr B

Thank you for your quick response.

Ben was in excellent health for his age before a long walk 2 weeks ago when we fear he may have drank from a dirty puddle. He was lethargic for 2 days then constantly thirsty, looking for water in garden even and wetting his bedding and floor throughout day and night.

My son's friend is a veterinary nurse and took Ben's water test for us, only to diagnose iron deficiency. He is not on any medication, only cod liver oil supplement.

Ben's appetite has caused overly concern, more constant drinking and wetting and a little lethargic. We fear he may have symptoms of diabetes or prostate problem, however we have felt his stomach for any lumps or unusual swelling and seems normal.

King Regards

Wendy

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Wendy,

First, I would advise double checking with your son's friend in regards ***** ***** water test results. This is because (as I noted above) iron deficiency cannot be diagnosed via urine. Especially since iron is a key component of blood and therefore its levels need to be analysed and diagnosed by blood sample. So, I do suspect there has been some confusion here.

That said, if she tested Ben's urine, then she should have been able to diagnose or rule out diabetes (by the presence or absence of glucose or ketones). Otherwise, the urine can be helpful in situations like this, since analysis of urine can tell us if we have bladder based infection (via white blood cells, bacteria, or blood present) or if the urine is too dilute (a clue of kidney disease or hormonal concerns like Cushings or Addisons) As well, if she examined the urine under the microscope, it can be possible to sometimes catch signs of bladder or prostatic tumor cells if present. So, urine is a good first diagnostic step but it won't tell us what his iron levels are like and if it hasn't given any other findings; then we need to consider his findings further.

Now that test aside, as I am sure you gleaned from what I have said so far, there are a range of issues that could cause the signs we are seeing. If the puddle did contain something infections, then we can see inflammatory diseases and infections increase thirst and thus urination. As well, as I noted before diabetes, kidney issues, liver disease, and hormonal diseases (ie Cushing's, Addisons) could also cause these signs. And just to note, urinary accidents and wetting is not uncommon at the early stages of all of these conditions, since the affected dog won't be used to the results of their elevated thirst and thus drinking. As well, while prostate issues could play a role here, this may be less likely if he has been castrated.

With all this in mind and with the results you have so far, I have to say a check up would be best at this point. If he is due a booster soon, you could move that appointment up to have him seen. If he is uncastrated and prostate issues are a concern, his vet can perform a rectal exam to let you know if this is a potential issue. As well, based on examination +/- bloods, then can tell you if these signs are just related to infection/inflammation (which can be medically managed for him with antibiotics +/- anti-inflammatories). As well, they can advise you if those other concerns are present and thus how to approach them for Ben to keep him comfortable and reduce these signs for him.

Overall, Ben's signs do raise concerns about a few different issues here. And unfortunately, that water test results are not accurate and therefore give us no real information to the trigger for his signs. Therefore, in this case, you could consider resubmitting a urine sample to your own vet (they tend to be quite cheap --ie they are just £5 in my practice) and/or have him checked at this stage. Because the sooner we pinpoint which of these issues are present, the sooner we can treat this for Ben and settle his signs.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much for your valuable advice. I will be making Ben an appointment to see our local vet ad soon ad possible

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome,
That sounds like a perfect plan for helping Ben.
All the best to you both,
Dr. B.