Vet
Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with all the major species.
76153631

We have a mare of 22 years and of late have had here to the

We have a mare of 22 years and of late have had here to the vet on two occasions for surgery to stitch the inside walls of here vaginal opening after discovering a large amount of blood on the stable floor and the vaginal area being swollen.
The vet has diagnosed it as a cut both times caused by a long nail or similar. We have looked for any thing that she may be catching herself on. We can't find everything that could be causing the problem.
Today we have noticed a small protrusion or a collection of what appears like a dark area on the skin.
Can you advise as we are going back to the vet tomorrow.As this can't go on. If its a wrong diagnosis.
Expert:  Vet replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, vet Andrew here. A few questions:
1. Has Shannon ever foaled and were there any complications you are aware of?
2. Did the injuries heal properly after being stitched?
3. Is she well in herself?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She has had foals before she came to us. As far as we are aware there were no problems. She is eating and drinking as normal. She normally has bute alternate days for her arthritus.

Expert:  Vet replied 2 years ago.
OK. I agree that it seems unlikely she got two separate injuries in exactly the same place, unless she is running with a stallion or even a gelding that might have served her and opened up the original injury.
A poorly healing, unexpected lesion as you describe, especially one which comes back as a protrusion or discoloured area, is likely to be a tumour. In this area, the most common ones are adenomas (benign) and adenocarcinomas (malignant). The way I see it, you have two options: 1 - get your vet to take a biopsy under local. This can then be sent off for analysis. 2 - get your vet, under local or even a quick general, to remove the lesion and a margin of surrounding healthy tissue. Either way, the suspect tissue will be analysed and you can then achieve a definitive diagnosis.
My advice would be to go for option 1, as this would be the safest for Shannon. Adenomas are usually not problematic and cause a limited local problem that can be cut out, but adenocarcinomas are aggressive and can spread both to local and distant sites in the body. They are best removed as soon as possible. There is also the possibility that the lesion is simply a reactive one which is not cancerous but a reaction to stitches and subsequent poor healing, like a scar that opens up and never heals properly. However, a biopsy should clear up the doubt.
I hope this helps; please feel free to ask further questions if you are unsure of anything.