Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My daughter has a much beloved older dog recently given Onisor

My daughter has a much beloved older dog recently given Onisor for a painful leg and has since vomited, and poorly, not drinking much and generally unwell. Can you possibly offer any advice. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.
Had Satine any health issues prior to the treatment with Onsior? Had she been losing weight, passing bright orange urine, or drinking more?
What was she bringing up in her vomit?
What have the blood results shown?
Had she given the dose advised by her vet or an overdose?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I understand only her painful leg. Not losing weight. Not sure what vomit but can find out. I understand she was in reasonably good health up to this point and eating. My daughter did not tell me re blood tests, maybe not yet available. Do not think my daughter would have given her an overdose.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Audrey,
Now with both us not being directly involved with the current situation, we will only be able to speculate on Satine's situation. As your daughter does relay more information to you, we will all have a better idea of what is triggering her lass's signs and what her overall prognosis will be.
Still, at the moment, I can say that the major worry here is Satine's jaundice. Jaundice if a yellow discoloration of the mucous membranes and skin (often most noticible at the gums or whites of the eyes). This sign is most often associated with liver based issues but in some cases can be related to immune mediated hemolytic anemia (where the body pops its own red blood cells). At her age and with her having developed signs after a normal diose of a drug that is metabolised by the liver, we would be most concerened about her liver function here.
Now despite this arising after a dose of this medication, I have to say that the drug at normal doses does not tend to trigger liver failure or severe damage such to a level that we are seeing these signs. (If she had overdosed her, then we'd have been worried of that). Instead, we would be more concerned of an already pre-existing liver compromise (possibly just old age cirrhosis) that just was not able to tolerate the medication. And if this was the case, then her treatment and her prognosis will hinge on how severely affected the liver is. Just to note, the bloods that her vet has taken will be able to tell us which concern is present, whether the liver is diseased and if so, how severly it is.
So, these would be our concerns with her present situation. And I have to say, as soon as the bloods are in, your daughter and her vet will know what exactly is amiss and appropriate treatment can be started. In the meantime, we'd hope her vet would treat Satine supportively. To do so, it will depend on how poorly she feels but they can use injectable anti-nausea medication to settle her stomach +/- IV fluids to try and flush any liver toxins out, help her body flush out any lingering Onsior, and keep her hydrated at this stage. And if the bloods did reveal her liver is not functioning as it should, then liver support supplements (ie Milk thistle/SamE or Denamarin) could be started to support the liver and help her to cope with this.
Overall, if Satine is jaundiced, then we do have to be very concerned about her liver. I do suspect she had some liver compromise and the Onsior has just pushed that over the edge. I know your daughter is very stressed, but please let her know that having those bloods checked was the best diagnostic step she could take here. Further to that, we could consider the aforementioned supportive care for Satine until they have the results. And once they are back, they will confirm our concerns, rule other issues (ie infection, anemia, etc), and help her to make the best treatment choices for Satine.
So, please do keep me posted on those bloods and let me know if she has any specific questions; but so far you are taking the right steps in helping poor wee Satine.
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much for your help. Satine is in Queensland, Australia, and my daughter mentioned a possible snake under the house and I do wonder whether she has been bitten too. She is so precious to my daughter they have been inseparable since she was a puppy. I am UK and far from the scene but thought I just might be able to support her. Can I take a copy of your reply to send as an attachment by email?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome,
If a snake is suspect, that could cause the immune based anemia I mentioned. But the vet or your daughter would likely have noticed a bite on Satine if this was the trigger.
Otherwise, you can absolutely pass this information to her (and let me know if she has any questions). You should be able to let her access this page but can also copy/paste our discussion into an email for her if that is easier.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not sure whether to RateFfinish and if so, how to contact you again. Also how my daughter will access this site to talk with you.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
Rating or leaving feedback doesn't close our discussion (it just credits me for assisting you) and we can still chat more about Satine. In regards ***** ***** daughter doing so, it would likely be easiest for you to share your account with her. Or she can choose to post directly as a new question and start that message with "For Dr. B/nekovet" and I would be able to answer her directly.
Take care,
Dr. B.