Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I have an 8 year old black lab ( purebred) on Sunday he had

Customer Question

I have an 8 year old black lab ( purebred) on Sunday he had a slight limp. Yesterday he was fine. This morning he struggled to get up and walk. He then had a bout of diarrhea. Subsequently, later this morning he was virtually I mobile. Currently in hospital overnight. Only answers from vey are speculative, please help!!
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Jed. I'm so sorry he's having so much trouble, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
I can't imagine how alarming this must be for both you and Jed, for him to become so very sick suddenly. I'm glad you took him to the vet right away, but I'm sorry you've only been able to get speculative answers so far.
In order to minimize the speculation, it's necessary to do a thorough work-up on a patient with symptoms like Jed's. That would include a CBC, chemistry panel, testing for various vector-borne diseases (depends on what's prevalent in your region), and a urinalysis. Those are the basics. Depending on what those reveal, he made need advanced diagnostics like a CSF tap or imaging (x-rays, CT,etc.).
I know that can be pretty scary to consider, and not all of it is within reach of every pet owner in every location.
I want to do my best to make sure you have the information you need to make the best decision for how to move forward under your unique circumstances.
In regards ***** ***** comes to mind for me reading your description of what Jed is experiencing, I'll comment on that below. I want to send this first part off right now so you know I'm working on your question.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Some of the diseases that come to mind that "fit" with Jake's history are listed below...
-coonhound paralysis
-tick paralysis
-infectious diseases: meningitis, polyarthritis
-metabolic diseases: liver disease, kidney disease, adrenal gland disease, advanced thyroid disease
-degenerative spinal diseases or injuries (like a ruptured disc)
Those are the most likely culprits, but - unfortunately - a variety of different illnesses can cause symptoms like this. The only way to narrow it down is through the appropriate diagnostic testing (blood work, urinalysis, imaging).
I know this is probably difficult news to hear. I'm so sorry your Jed is this sick, and understand how shocking it is when it all comes about so quickly.
The important thing is that he is in the hands of a veterinarian now. With access to the right diagnostic testing, you should be able to have an answer reasonably quickly.
In the meantime, your vet should be keeping him on a plan of supportive care and pain management.
Please let me know if what I've said so far is helpful.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Please rest assured I am here to help.
You may still reply when you return online. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss this with you until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.
You may return to this page at any time to review the information and/or post more. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in to ask if you have any additional questions after reviewing the information I provided above. I know it can be helpful to have someone else to bounce ideas off of when you're trying to decide what to do next in a really difficult situation like this.
Is Jed doing any better today?