Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Mhy daughter has a boxer ,she is almost nine now and has

mhy daughter has a boxer bitch,she is almost nine now and has developed placque onher gums vet,says teeth are fine but gums need laser treatment,a£1000 my daughter had to stop pet insurance as she had no work and unemployment benefit could not pay that,her mouth is very swollen at he moment,and difficulty eating its hard to cope with her lovely pets condition
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Sadie. I'm so sorry she isn't doing well, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
This is such a difficult situation on so many levels. Please let me share my thoughts with you...
First, gum problems are very common in boxers. I'm sorry you're dealing with this. Based on what you've described, I'm suspecting Sadie has a condition called gingival hyperplasia. That means there's a buildup of excessive amounts of gum tissue. Sometimes this is harmless, but sometimes hair and plaque and all kinds of inflammation build up as a result.
I'm assuming the vet is recommending a laser treatment to remove the buildup of excess gum tissue. That is the best form of treatment for this problem, but it's important to keep in mind it is only temporary. Nothing stops the excess gum tissue from building back up again.
In Sadie's case that means your options are either to...
1. Raise the money for this treatment, or...
2. Pursue a different form of treatment that isn't as expensive.
Yes, laser surgery can be very expensive. I'm so sorry that's the case. Here are links to a couple of resources for help with veterinary bills in the UK. I hope they are helpful.
http://www.petloversonline.co.uk/financial.htm
http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advice/getting-help-with-veterinary-treatment-when-you-cant-afford-it.html
In regards ***** ***** forms of treatment, you need to know that laser surgery isn't the only way to remove excess gum tissue. It can also be done the old-fashioned way with a scalpel blade. True, the laser produces less bleeding, swelling, and pain, but it isn't always an option. We don't have one at my practice, in fact, so when I have a dog who needs this procedure and cannot afford a referral to a veterinary dentist for treatment, I do it myself with a blade. The bleeding isn't life threatening and I use aggressive pain management with medications and the dogs are able to heal up just fine. While it's not the best treatment, it's still effective and better than nothing.
I hope this information is helpful to you. I know how difficult it can be to feel so helpless in a situation like this.
Please let me know how else I might be of assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how do we get a scalpel aand what do we use for pain relief,plus she will not let you near her mouth it is so sore

reply

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
I forgot to mention above that the non-laser treatment with a scalpel blade is considerably less expensive than the laser option.
If you seek a second opinion with some other vets, you may find someone who is able to offer a less-expensive treatment alternative for Sadie.
Oh! I just received your second question about how to get a scalpel blade. I'm sorry I failed to make myself clear. This is still a surgical procedure and not something that you can do at home. Cutting off the tissue requires anesthesia.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
In regards ***** ***** for Sadie's mouth at home, it sounds as if you are already doing everything you can... brushing, wiping, rinsing.
If that isn't working and Sadie is in pain and not eating, there's no way around the fact that she needs medical care in the hands of a veterinarian. The links I provided in my answer above can help with those costs.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Is there anything else I may help you with today?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
To respond, simply type in what you want to say below, then click REPLY.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

we need to know what we can do to mask the horrible smelly breath its need to be quite bad and one does not even need to be close to her

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Good question. Yes, the breath associated with a problem like this can be horrible, so I understand why you want a solution to that problem.
Unfortunately, if the things you're already doing at home (brushing, wiping, and using a mouth rinse) are not working, the only way to stop the odor is to have the necessary work done at the vets.
I'm sorry there isn't an easier solution. The fact remains this odor is coming from the buildup of infection in her mouth, and it won't go away until her mouth is made back into a healthy place. That's going to take some veterinary work.