Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I rescued a feral pigeon with what appears to be a broken wing

I rescued a feral pigeon with what appears to be a broken wing about two months ago. The wing hangs and the bird can fly only about three feet off the ground.
Is it too late to attempt to strap up the wing?
When I attempted to make an appointment with my usual vet I was told they would put the bird down if I took it there.
Thanks for any help
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello, and welcome.
It was so good of you to take this bird in, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...
1. Not good news I am afraid, it will now be too late to try and repair this birds wing by strapping it up. If this sort of procedure is going to be successful then it has to be carried out within the first couple of days after the injury. By now the fracture will have formed a callus and have set in an abnormal position or it will be a non union fracture.
2. I have always taken an interest in wildlife, when I had my clinic in Essex and I had an aviary behind the clinic where I kept such waifs and strays and many of them led a good enough life out there. In your case all you can do is to keep this bird as a pet ...
Sorry I did not have better news for you ...
I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.