Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog is a ckc spanial and is having treatment he

Customer Question

my dog is a ckc spanial and is having treatment for chf he has been given frusimide 120 mg per day but is gaining fluid his vet thinks about 3 kilos of it is there any thing else to take the fluid down. he is 10 years and still eats his dinners and wants to go out please help love rose
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Jack is retaining fluid secondary to congestive heart failure.
It sounds like he is taking the usual protocol of medication to control his disease process and help avoid fluid retention, but despite that he is still retaining fluid.
We can add a second diuretic called spironolactone (Aldactone) to try and help decrease his fluid retention.
I would also make sure that he is being fed a low salt diet that supports heart disease like Hills h/d or Royal Canin Cardiac diet.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.