Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 7 year old female neutered tabby has just been diagnosed

my 7 year old female neutered tabby has just been diagnosed with gingivitus Itartar & gum recession) and ondontoclastic lesions. She has had several teeth extracted. This has taken me by suprise as i have always been told she had good teeth. my vet says that its nothing i am doing wrong and this condition can appear without prior warning. I would like to know what to do for her care in the future and I also have several other cats of a similiar age that i am worried about, eventhough they dont appear to show any problems at the moment. they all eat a mixture of wet food and biscuits good quality but not any particular vetinary diet. Brushing teeth has been advised, this was attempted when they were all kittens but not particularly successfull. Please reccommend tooth cleanng products that can be put in food maybe?? and food that will assist with dental health.
thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I would note that we never take out teeth that are do not need to be removed (especially as healthy teeth wouldn't be very easy to remove). And often cats that are prone to dental/oral disease will need multiple teeth out during a dental. It can vary by cat due to mouth shape, their eating habits, how they chew their food, and even genetics. So, it is quite possible to have one cat be prone to these issues where others have not been. (Just to note, my own kitty only has 3 teeth due to issues with her mouth and I assure you that she suffers no ill effects from this, still eats her dry, and has a much more comfortable mouth without those painful/rotten teeth).

Now in regards ***** ***** dental health, brushing is always advisable (just as it ifor us). It will never be easy to start with an adult cat but it is key to persevere. I find it helpful to start using the brush like a toy to encourage tem to chomp and chew. This combined with using a palatable tooth paste (ie chicken flavor, beef etc) can help get kitties open minded to brushing and allow us to work up to getting a few brushes in here and there. Since her mouth is lovely and clean, you will be starting with a fresh slate and using the toothbrush a bit every few days may be all she needs to keep her teeth as they are. And I would note that if you use an enzymatic toothpaste (example) then this will keep working to break down tarter even after you have stopped brushing.

Otherwise, supplements to keep teeth clean do exist but have only been of variable use. So, you can try these with her but we'd need to monitor if it helps her personally. In regards ***** ***** one I have found most useful, I would note that I have seen positive results with Plaque-Off (example), so you could try this as a food additive for Ziggy.

Finally, in regards ***** ***** supportive diets, harder kibbles are usually advised but there is one specific diet that has been found to be of particular benefit. This is Hill's T/D (More Info). It is quite palatable and is designed to help remove tarter and keep kitty teeth clean. So, that too would be a consideration here and can be purchased online (even online Pets at Home carry this) or from your vet.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )