DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine- class of 2007.
24095035

My 11 year old ***** ***** has has been eating grass

My 11 year old ***** ***** has has been eating grass for a couple of days and her tummy is making a noise. She has not been off her food but today she seems anxious and keeps putting her bottom in the air as if she has tummy ache. When out walking she passed some blood. She seems to have settled down now and gone to sleep in her bed. Shall I not feed her tonight and get to see vet in morning or is this emergency. Have tried to get appointment somewhere today but they are all miles away and she is bad traveller.
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. I'm sorry to hear about your dog's troubles. If your dog seems to be resting comfortably and breathing normally...not panting....then you can probably wait til morning. Definitely do not feed the dog. Do try to keep her hydrated so encourage water intake. If she continues to pass bloody stool or begins to vomit blood or will not drink, then get her to a vet immediately. Best wishes. Let me know if you have further questions.