Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My dog is vomiting bile

Customer Question

My dog is vomiting bile
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Klive's condition....this digestive disturbance could be secndary to stress form the procedure or it may be that Klive has ingested something that did not agree with him. The best treatment for this is as follows:
Fast Klive for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give Klive Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the vomiting has resolved, then wean Klive back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take him to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns. such as an intestinal obstruction.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The vomit is clear yellow.......Bile.

Would this occur from eating something disagreeable? Not liver related.

It is sunday so I cannot get medication.

HI Anna...yes, this could happen from ingesting something bad...not liver related. If you cannot get teh Pepcid, you can also give Pepto Bismol at 1 teaspoon per 20 pounds of Klive's weight every 8 hrs. Anything will help at this point...he needs something to calm his stomach.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have just instructed my partner to give him a Omeprazole 20mg which I use for reflux. I am disabled and bedridden.

I have no idea what the medicine is that you are referring too. American?

That is good, Anna...Omeprazole will help. The dose is 0.5 mg per pound aily. The other meidcation is also in the UK and is called Famotidine....if this other does nto help, try to find this.
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
Thank you so much, Anna, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Klive feels better soon!

Have a wonderful day!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your help .

He is still vomiting and looking very sad.

It is difficult to get in touch with my vet on a sunday but I will get Klive taken tomorrow. Goodnight and thanks again

Oh my...I am very sad Anna....I hope Klive does ok. If he keeps this up, you will have to give him some fluids such as Pedialyte every few hours....

Good luck!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My young cat is also very upset and crying because she loves to cuddle and play with Klive, but he is in no state, right now.

It is all very upsetting.

My partner is getting water down him when he can, but most comes back up.

There is nothing we can do until morning now when hopefully the vet will give him a steroid jab and try and sort him out.

Poor Klive and poor Kiki, my pussy cat. Thanks so much for your advice.

Oh, Anna...I hope both KLive and Kiki are doing better this morning...