Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I'm wondering , if you habnt had measles or been immunised

I'm wondering , if you habnt had measles or been immunised against it . Is it possible to,become ill with canine distemper ?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and welcome.My name is***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction. 1. This is a very short and to the point answer I know, but it 100% covers your question. The situation is that the canine distemper virus along with many other viruses is very host specific. In this case the host is the dog and this means that only dogs are at risk and there is no way that humans can ever catch this disease under any circumstances. Immunised against measles or not ...I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know I have never had measles nor have been vaccinated and wondered was possible to contract distemper and experience neurological symptoms
Hi Eve,
I can set your mind at rest on that score, it is just not possible for humans to contract the canine distemper virus. No problems there...
Regards, *****
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I read online tht humans can contract distemper and be a symptomatic tho become carrier , it that correct please ?
Hi Eve,
Lets talk about this in more depth...
Well measles virus and distemper virus are very closely related and there is some evidence that humans under some circumstances can be carriers. But the disease does not affect humans in the meaning that it causes symptoms of any sort.
Regards,
Scott